Thursday, August 25, 2011

Bagram Bound

We've officially made it to Manas AB, Kyrgyzstan and have been here the past two days.  The base is used as a transition center for US forces moving in and out of Afghanistan.  The base has an interesting history - Russia and China are both unhappy that the US has a base here, and there are been several attempts to close it down.  But the deep pockets of the US have kept it open and I imagine will be here for a long time - still alot of construction going on here.  Its an interesting feeling to be in a country that was part of the former Soviet Union.  I've seen some postcards of the country - looks beautiful, however transient military members aren't allowed off base, so I can't say for myself.
Home sweet Home
View from my humble abode - 40 beds in a tent
Traveling to Manas via Leipzig, Germany
 We are enroute to Bagram today, leaving in a few hours.  Our sleep patterns are completely out of wack and I've been finding myself eating dinner at 1:30 am, and sleeping in the middle of the afternoon.  Its hard to regulate, especially since we are awaiting travel and really have no set schedule that we have to be on yet.  The food is good here, and the weather is nice (no more Texas heat), so no complaints.
Troop Greeters in Bangor, ME - They meet every military flight that goes through here,
it's very cool, and very humbling.
Leaving Ft Bliss
Will write more later, the internet has been unreliable here, but its free!  We have a 1.5 hr flight to Bagram, and then it'll be home sweet home at last.  We can finally start working! 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Captain:

    Glad things are still going as well as possible. Now you will be able to get down to a "normal" life, doing the job you were trained. The official countdown begins...Only 179 to go!! That was like a school year for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robyn,
    You have finally made it to the final leg of the journey to Bagram. And yet another "home sweet home," but only for 179 days! Thanks for keeping us updated every step of the way. I look forward to every text, email, call, and entry in your blog. We'll "connect" by whatever means is available. Stay safe and know how much I love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's finally here! 179 days to go!! Sorry Bagram isn't as nice as you'd hoped, or thought it was going to be, but it is just temporary, and I'm sure you'll make the most of it. Stay positive and keep up the great work! I'm so proud of you and looking forward to hearing your voice and stories again soon!

    I love you and am with you always!

    ReplyDelete